Ok - it was nice to have a relatively short day yesterday, but that left us with 80 km ahead to get to Villa O'Higgins and arrive in time to buy tickets for the third ferry of the trip. J&E had emailed the ferry operator 3 days ago, but hadn't heard back yet. And rumour had it that the Ferry often gets cancelled due to high winds, with weary travellers having to wait 3-5 days in the town of O'Higgins for the wind to subside. But we NEED to catch that ferry, out flight back to Oregon is in just a few days and I'm needing to get back to Sophie and Elliot and my warm Oregon home.
Steepest climb yet! (they weren't kidding!)
Many a waterfall
And lots of "wildlife"...
E&J powered through, got to town before 7:00, only to find that the big ferry boat is broken, and the little one is full (no room for bikes), and the next ferry we could take (if the weather cooperated) would be Monday, five days away, and would never get us across the border in time to make our flight back home on Tuesday morning from El Calafate, which is still more than 300 kms away.
what to do?